Sunday, June 2, 2013

What More Could You Ask?

 

h1

 

What more could you ask of a Saturday afternoon in the beautiful town of San Miguel de Allende that is. The weather was spectacular, hot and sunny, with a lovely breeze. We packed up our little travel Yachtzee set and parked on the rooftop patio at Hansen’s bar and grill. That patio, of course was full, the people happy and the company good.

 

v1

 

This was actually the first time I had dragged myself (and my walker) up the three flights of stairs to the roof. It was well worth the trip. Six cold Mexican beer awaited us in a bucket of ice and the view from the roof is wonderful. The sun sparkled off the windows of the multicoloured houses on the hill above the restaurant and the only thing that could have improved the view was if the giant jacaranda tree across the street had been in bloom.

 

s3

 

Now that I have made my way to the roof, I know where the special Saturday prime rib is created. Hidden away in a tiled alcove on the roof are 3 ceramic ovens. They are so heavy that they require a pulley system to raise the lids. As you arrive on the rooftop patio you are greeted by the smell of slowly roasting prime rib.

 

p1

 

Even though I am not a huge prime rib fan, that looks pretty good to me and the smell that permeates the air is incredible. We spent a relaxing afternoon drinking beer, chatting and playing Yachtzee. I won three games in a row. “neener, neener, neener Todd” Yes, I am channeling my inner child, and it feels good!

 

Marina

Marina

 

Our waitress Marina, who is as charming as she is beautiful, even brought me a crème brulee for winning the Yachtzee games. She always has my back. Usually the only special is the prime rib on Saturdays, with chicken parmesan until 5:00 PM when the prime rib is ready. Yesterday there was also Tuscan Chicken and Rib Eye Steak.

 

chick

Pollo Toscano

 

My meal of chicken and pasta in a beautifully seasoned fresh tomato sauce, was wonderful and I will still get 2 more meals out of what is left in the fridge.

 

 

Steak

Rib Eye

 

Todd said the rib eye, which looked like it came from a mastodon, was perfectly cooked. The steak came with fabulous whipped sweet potatoes and was so huge even Todd couldn’t finish it.

 

You just gotta love San Miguel!

10 comments:

  1. OMG, I can't wait to get home!!!! A Saturday afternoon..or any afternoon on the roof sounds like heaven! See you soon.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy smokes Shannon! Weird, but effective ovens.. The meats look fab! I guess the grill is in Guadalupe, as I believe I can see Babs place up the hill in the photo. I know i can see where I've stayed..The only thing missing is ME! Looking forward to returning.... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely! Let's go when you get home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you coming back soon Dan? Now you know the place to go. It is in Guadalupe, and you probably can see Barbara's house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Time well spent! Great looking food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The food is wonderful, Peter, and the great thing for us is that it is even close to home.

      Delete
  6. Prime rib? I am on the way. Well, in a month or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, maybe you and Barbara and Todd and I can all get together at Hansen's.

      Delete
  7. I have read very good things about Hansen's hamburgers as well.

    Saludos,
    Don Cuevas

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, they are excellent. A two person meal for most, they are made of Angus sirloin and come with either a wonderful spicy cole slaw or some of the best fries you will get in Mexico.

    ReplyDelete