Friday, May 18, 2012

Reality Check

When my father passed away late in 2005 it occurred to me that there was really nothing else holding back our plan to move to Mexico. Todd sold his old BMW.  I sold my Mercury Mystique and bought a Ford Escape, which I felt was very apropo to the circumstance.  I gave notice and quit my job at the end of February 2006. Giddy with relief and excitement I began the process of divesting myself of all my worldly possessions.....and was suddenly overwhelmed by the enormity of what we were about to undertake.

After taking inventory we realized that we owned a virtual mountain of THINGS. Including a small rabbit named Larry and all his possessions. We had a large, very full, condo as well as 3 storage lockers. One storage locker held all my father's belongings and that was a monumental undertaking unto itself. I also had a storage locker that I had had since before I met Todd, (a remnant of 2 previous marriages) as did Todd (from one previous marriage).

 Somehow when I manifested this vision of leaving our lives behind and moving to an exotic foreign country I had envisioned us freed of all ties to our past and possessions, gleefully racing down the highway with nothing but the clothes on our backs. At the time I had not considered how this was going to be achieved. After inventorying and sorting everything we began having garage sales and packing boxes to go to the Salvation Army. We pawned off everything they would take on our friends and relatives. As the storage lockers and closets slowly emptied we began to think that perhaps we could do this after all.

It was now June of 2006 and time to put the condo on the market. We didn't want to take any chances and hired a house stager to help expedite things. She had us paint the entire apartment beige from stem to stern and redo the kitchen and bathroom floors with something more neutral. She felt that a lot of our furniture wasn't right and that we should rent some to show the place. Good thing we still had storage lockers, but it sure felt like a step backwards! I guess she knew what she was talking about because the condo sold for more than we were asking at our first open house.


Beige, Beige, Beige


We were very surprised that our home had sold so quickly and stunned when the new owners wanted us to vacate within the week. At the end of the week we stumbled exhausted and sleep-deprived from our home, rabbit cage held between us, and wondered what the heck we were going to do then....





To be continued....

10 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogging world. It is generally a pretty friendly place.
    HI, to Larry also lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brenda, this is all new to me and I appreciate the encouragement. I have added your blog to my blog roll.

      Delete
  2. Very cool...glad you're doing this!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely Fantastic! I have read Todd's blog for a few years, and now get to read YOUR vision of living in Mexico! Todd had some very interesting things to say about Patz, but now I am REALLY interested in your opinions of the new environment in SMA. Please keep this up as your prose is luverly, and leave ladders alone...
    Cheers, and WELCOME!
    Dan in NC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dan. I am new at this so it isn't likely to be as polished as Todd's blog, but I'll do my best.
      I will most definitely stay away from ladders!LOL

      Delete
  4. Thanks Shannon, I have added your blog to my blogroll also.
    Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, well, well. I knew there was some more back story out there. Thanks for filling in some of the gaps.

    It feels rather silly to welcome you to blogdom; you have have been a featured payer in our little Mexico world for some time. But it is nice to have you amongst the scribblers. i may be up in San Miguel this summer. If so, the three of us will have to catch up with where we left off last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Todd's busy and doesn't always get his posts up promptly so there are probably a few gaps to fill in.
      Definitely drop us a line if you're going to be in San Miguel and we'll get together.

      Delete