Friday, February 21, 2014

Artistic Talent

 

As most of you know, San Miguel de Allende is somewhat of an artist’s enclave. However art, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder and I have beheld some fairly awful art in my time here. It seems to me that, in general, lack of artistic talent has not dissuaded the average artist here in San Miguel. Granted I am not a qualified critic by any stretch of the imagination but I do know what I like.

And what I like is the work of local artist, Suzy Taylor. She is the real deal. Last week I was accompanying Todd on one of his photographic pursuits when he stopped in an alley to show me the Arroyo Gallery and introduce me to Suzy Taylor. I was amazed and delighted! I had never seen a style quite like Suzy’s before and wasn’t even sure on first inspection what medium she was using.

 

suzy3

 

Her paintings are soft and fluid, almost pastel in appearance, yet she paints in oil. After talking to Suzy about how she developed this unique style I discovered that her artistic talent doesn’t end there. She also designs beautiful clothing and even furniture which she sells in her gallery.

 

Shan and suz

My brush with greatness

 

3 piece

 

Suzy is not only talented on many levels, she is also prolific. Her gallery offers so many paintings in such a variety of colour and style that I experienced a bit of a sensory overload.

 

suzy2

 

If you are decorating your home, would like to see some really unique clothing design or just like to view beautiful art I would recommend a visit to the Arroyo Gallery. The gallery is situated in an alley behind Café Monet in Colonia San Antonio. The address is Rinconada de la Aldea # 27. The phone number is (415) 152-5213 and Suzy can also be contacted at suzy@suzytaylor.com

 

suzy4

8 comments:

  1. I am definitely unqualified as an art critic; but I agree that it is lovely work. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Brenda, It is beautiful and really different.

      Delete
  2. It sounds as if I have another place to visit this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzy IS very talented. You're absolutely right Shannon!
    Does she have a website so we can see her many offerings from afar? (or at least from a bit of a distance)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Shelley, her website is www.suzytaylor.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. can't believe I am just now seeing this. I believe I did tell you I wasn't so good on the computer.
    Thanks so much Shannon and hope all is well with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe it took me this long to notice your comment. Clearly I am not so good on the computer either, LOL. I am glad you liked the post. I was so blown away by your work that I had to share it with everyone.

      Delete