Thursday, July 3, 2014

Canada Day in San Miguel de Allende

 

 

FB CN 002

 

July first was Dominion Day, or Canada Day if you prefer, in our native country, but it also made quite a splash right here in San Miguel. The party was held in the beautiful Antigua Villa Santa Mónica. The Canada Day Committee, (who knew there was such a thing!?) organized the heck out of the affair, and the result was a terrific party in a beautiful venue on a warm sunny afternoon. Even the Canadian Consulate put in an appearance.

 

IMG_0801

Tons of great info from the Canadian Consulate

 FB CN 001 

Rene and I getting ready to hand out name-tags before the party began

 

FB CN 004

Courtyard/Dining Room of the Hotel Santa Mónica

 

Even though so many of the “snowbirds” are north of the border at this time of year I think we had 50 or 60 people in attendance. I didn’t realize that we had so many Canadians living here until the party. I even met someone that used to swim at Princess Park, across the street from the house where I grew up in North Vancouver, when we were kids. I’m always surprised when that kind of thing happens, it really is a small world.

 

FB CN 023

Red and White were the colours of the day

 

FB CN 011

 

When it came time to gather and sing the Canadian  Anthem we were led by our  compatriot, Juno Award winner, Johnny Favourite. Johnny who is the owner and operator of the La Noche Piano Bar, lives here in San Miguel but hails Newfoundland, Canada.

 

FB CD03

Johnny Favourite

 

What a great day it was. Todd and I don’t usually get involved in this kind of thing, but I think we may have to rethink that. Now I’m looking forward to Canadian Thanksgiving!

 

* I am getting very lazy being married to a great photographer and all the photos in this post are courtesy of Todd McIntosh.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I didn't know there is a Canadian committee or a Canadian Consulate office here! Surprise. As the years pass, especially in the last 5 or so more and more Canadians are leaving the Pacific coast and discovering San Miguel!
    I love the Villa Santa Monica. For newcomers, I like to take them there for Sunday brunch or lunch during the week. It is a lovely respite from the noise or traffic of other places. Glad ya'll had a good time. I'm off to the Democrats Abroad event today to celebrate the 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a surprise to me too to find out there is a Consulate here. I thought that there used to be, but now it was just in Mexico City. I wish I had known that when I had to renew my passport, lol.
    Happy Independence Day Barbara, have fun at the party!

    ReplyDelete