Wednesday, August 5, 2015

A Preemptive Strike

 

 

IMG_0897

 

I have been spending a lot of time with Google lately. What is the best diet during chemo? Do visualizations and meditation help? What is the best thing to do about nausea? What should you not do during chemo? Are there natural ways to combat a lowered immune system? How long does it take for hair to start falling out?

I don’t know how accurate the answers were to the rest of the questions but the hair loss response was right on target. Google said two weeks after the first treatments hair loss begins to occur. Yep, sure does. Having three cats I am always pretty much covered in hair, but of late it has been my own.

Obviously I was expecting this, even anticipating it. So I should not have been surprised when almost two weeks to the day after my first treatment, when I was washing my hair, to find it coming out in handfuls. Still it threw me a little to actually see it happening. After a few days of having my hairbrush and clothes full of hair I was envisioning a trail of little hairballs following me everywhere, and the image of my partially bald head with tufts of hair hanging off here and there.

That is when decided to make a preemptive strike and shave my head. I was going to get there soon enough anyway so why not just go directly. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.00.

 

FB02

 

It’s not really a look I would have chosen for myself but it is quite cool and comfortable.

 

.IMG_0899

 

Just a reminder for those of you here in San Miguel de Allende that we are having a fundraiser, Cash For Chemo, to help with my chemo and related costs. It will be a really fun evening at La Noche Piano Bar on Friday August 14th from 6:00 to 11:00 PM. We are having a Sock Hop, with live music performed by Johnny Favourite, an appetizer buffet and a live auction. We have some really wonderful items for the auction. Tickets are 200 pesos each and there are still a few left for anyone who would like to come and eat, dance and have some fun.

Tickets are available at La Noche Piano Bar at #73 Zacateros ,

Abrazos Designs at #24 Zacateros

Joey Merrifield- jmerrifi@gmail.com

or you can contact me through my blog.

It’s going to be a great evening and I hope to see you there!

14 comments:

  1. You have such exquisite eyes that not having hair makes them even more beautiful. Scarves and hats and henna are all ways to disguise the fact that your hair no longer there...but I think you look wonderful!
    Have two tickets for the "event". It will be a great evening..........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful post, thank you Babs! See you on Friday!

      Delete
  2. Thank you Barbara, at least my head is round. I was wondering about that. Like would I end up looking like a conehead or something, LOL.

    See you at the party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could be there for the fundraiser.

    And I agree with Barbara, the shaved look suits you. You would now be perfect to play the Ilia role in Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It isn't about your hair anyway - it's about how bright your light shines - and you're luminous! I know that sometimes you may feel alone - for me it was in the wee hours when others were asleep and I was awake with my thoughts - but please know you're not really alone, ever. You have so very many in your corner, covering you in prayer, and I do hope you know (know, not just hope) that there's a posse riding with you in spirit, in prayer, and in love. We've got you covered Darling, and we won't let go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much Barbara! That means a lot to me!

      Delete
    2. So beautifully written and so heartFULL. Muchas gracias, Barbara!

      Delete
  5. I like the idea of the Star Trek role but I think I look more like Dr. Evil from Austin Powers. All I need is Mini Me, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look beautiful bald! Wishing you love and healing light!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, you are DIVINE and your beauty has nothing to do with hair vs no hair. I LOVE being witness to how loved you and Sr. Todd are in your various communities!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that too Joseph. Honestly it is a little overwhelming and so wonderful to know how many people care. This whole odyssey has been a roller coaster ride culminating in such love and caring. Life affirming!

      Delete
  8. You look cute !! Such a pretty face doesn't need hair !!!
    Wish we could be there for the fundraiser.
    Hugs and Aloha to you Shannon. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure "cute" would be my description, LOL, but thank you Kym. I so wish you could be here for the fundraiser as well. I am still devastated that I was unable to see you both while you were here last month.
      Abrazos and Aloha to you and Paul.

      Delete