Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The Right Place

 

 

2013-10-02 15.08.33

 

Last Saturday night I went to a great party. It was a birthday party for my friend Carla in an absolutely gorgeous house down by Parque Juarez. I met some lovely people, ate some great food and enjoyed the light show put on by nature when the evening became stormy. Carla and I go to Spanish conversation class together and our friend Jo, another classmate, was in attendance as well.

Even though the house was huge the party was quite crowded and as I maneuvered my way through the crowd with food, drink and walker Jo kindly commented that she knew what it was like to be handicapped. She told me a story about a time when she was living in New York and had suffered a serious injury, leaving her in a wheel chair for about three months.

It was winter time and dark and cold as she had tried to hail a cab, but even empty ones kept passing her by. None of the cabbies wanted to deal with a person in a wheel chair. Finally, in tears, she spotted a policeman and approached him, telling him of her dilemma. He hailed her a cab and instructed the cabby to take her where she wanted to go.

Wow! What a difference the locale makes. I’m often asked when people see me tottering over the cobblestones with my walker “ Oh my gosh, you didn’t do that here did you? “ or “ It must be SO difficult for you to get around here! “ Although, however kind the sentiment, it could not be more wrong. I am far better off being here in Mexico with my disabilities than I would be ‘north of the border’.

A couple of years ago, when I was still in a wheel chair, I was working for a friend in Umecuaro, a tiny village up in the hills between Morelia and Patzcuaro. I spent six months there looking after my friend’s property while she was working in Bangladesh. I had to oversee the regular work done on the property, like putting in new fence posts, tree fumigation and building repairs. I had to shop for household goods and feed for the horses and dogs.

It all seemed a little daunting at first, doing all this from a wheel chair, but then I realized you are never truly alone in Mexico. Lori, the live-in housekeeper and ranch hand was certainly helpful. But the most amazing thing was the help I received everywhere I went. I had a walker in the SUV with me and a wheelchair in the far back. I would use the walker to get to the back of the truck and then lift the wheel chair out while balancing on one leg. Or at least that was the plan. I don’t think I actually had to do that more than a handful of times.

Nine out of ten times before I ever reached the back of the car help had arrived. It came in the form of kind strangers from all walks of life. Whether it was a young girl, or an old man they all helped me get the wheel chair out of the car and made sure that I had things well in hand before going on their way. I was flabbergasted……and touched……and charmed by all these wonderful folks that took the time to come and help a stranger.

A few months ago I was taking a class at the Instituto Allende, part of the Lifelong Learning Program, and as I left the building I encountered an amazing phenomenon. The instituto is on Calle Ancha San Antonio, a wide thoroughfare running, approximately, down the middle of Colonia San Antonio. There is a tope, a speed bump, about two feet wide and flat on top running across the street and painted like a crosswalk. As I stepped off the curb and onto the tope to hail a cab all the traffic stopped in both directions.

I waved them on apologetically and stepped back on the curb. I walked a car length down the side walk and stepped out again between two parked cars when I saw a cab coming. Again, all the traffic stopped in both directions. I felt like Moses parting the Red Sea. Wincing apologetically I waved them on again and decided to cross the street and try from the side that was in the direction that I was actually heading. Needless to say I had no trouble crossing the wide street and I still stopped traffic a couple more times before I managed to flag down a taxi. There is clearly a different mindset here.

Then just the other day while we were shopping at Superama in Querétaro, ( I sometimes still use a wheelchair when shopping ) I left the store while Todd was going through the checkout and made my way to the car. By the time I reached the trusty old Escape, a small crowd was gathering. There was a young woman with a couple of kids and bags of groceries and two parking lot attendants vying to help me from the chair to the car. If I had to have a serious accident I sure picked the right place to do it!

¡Viva México!

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for the beautiful story, Shannon. Thank you. (Tomas)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome Tomas. It's lovely to be able to share the stories of the wonderful people here. We too often hear only of the violence, poverty and corruption here and too little of warmth, love and laughter of the people.

      Delete
  2. I love the Mexican people, such kindness is their nature!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true Julie. We may have other problems here, (where do they not?), but we also have some of the kindest, warmest people in the world!

      Delete
  3. Well at least there is something good about all the things you have been going through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, actually Brenda, there are a few good things. It certainly gave me a new perspective on life to know that I could so easily have died. A new appreciation perhaps and a tendency to relish each new day simply for being allowed to have one.

      Delete
  4. THat is what I love about living here.. the kindness
    e.. I have spent time in a wheel chair and walker hert in SMA from accidents.... and your story is my story... I was at Carla's party but did not get a chance to meet you.. I hope to soon..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to meet you too Victoria. We can commiserate, LOL. We are very lucky to live in such a great place!

      Delete
  5. Happy to know you've found your right place to heal.
    Susan Joyce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan. I think Mexico in general is the right place to heal. Possibly from many things. Among many other things, I have certainly learned about kindness here. Love to you and Doug, I hope you are as happy now in Uruguay.

      Delete
  6. Hi Shannon, I have lived in Merida for many years and could have written the same post. People here are very helpful and quite friendly. I have been picked up from sidewalks, etc. many times after falling and always am offered help. I, too, am extremely happy to be living in Mexico.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we are very lucky to be living here! The Mexican people could teach some of us from North of the border a thing or two about kindness.

      Delete